As the American economy collapsed in 1929 banks and businesses failed and millions of Americans lost their jobs. Countries all over the world, who had already been suffering from the after effects of World War I, were also hurt by the American collapse. The drastic decrease in world trade during the Great Depression further reduced overall economic activity in Europe, Asia, Africa and Latin America and led to a massive increase in international unemployment and political instability.
1. Explain four causes of the 1929 stock market crash.
2. List five effects of the crash.
3. Explain the effect of the Hawley-Smoot Tariff on the economy.
4. "The Negro was born in depression.....the Depression only became official when it hit the white man". Explain why minorities often experienced an increase in discrimination during the Great Depression.
5. Explain how President Hoover's belief in "rugged individualism" shaped his policies during the Depression (particularly regarding the role of government) .
6. What was the "Bonus Army" and why did they, and their families, go to Washington ?
7. How did Hoover's treatment of the Bonus Army affect his standing with the public ?
Alfred E. Smith
buying on margin
Dow Jones Industrial Average
Federal Home Loan Act
Reconstruction Finance Corporation