1. What is the "textbook" definition of government ? (pg.5)
2. English philosopher Thomas Hobbes (1588-1679) believed that preserving life was the most important function of government. What was his description of life in a "state of nature" (without government)? (pg.5)
3. Describe the type of government Hobbes felt would be best able to deal with this "state of nature" ?
4. According to John locke, what was the basic objective of government ? (pg.6)
5. Explain how John Locke's ideas formed the basis of the American Declaration of Independence, particularly with regard to a person's "natural rights" ?
6. Explain the difference between:
freedom to -
freedom from -
7. Explain the difference between; (pg.14)
equality of opportunity -
equality of outcome -
8. Describe the main characteristics of each of the following political ideologies.