Empires have existed throughout recorded history, whether it be the Chinese dynasties, Mongolians, Persians, Egyptians, Romans, Aryans, Aztecs, Ashanti, Western Europeans, Japanese, Russians or Americans.
European empires, built on trade and commerce, had been evolving for centuries and, by the early 20th century, the British Empire alone included over a quarter of of the world's land and people.
American imperialism dates back to the creation of the United States. Throughout the 19th century Americans extended their control over much of the North American continent claiming it was "God's will" (Manifest Destiny) for the U.S.A. to dominate the western hemisphere (politically and economically) from coast to coast and pole to pole.
By the 1880's America believed that the time had come to extend its influence and establish colonies outside the American continent.
1. Explain three factors which fueled American imperialism during the administration of President McKinley. (pgs.365-366)
a. economic (pg.365)
b. military (pg.365)
c. cultural (pg.366)
2. Why did some Americans oppose U.S. imperialism ? (pg.366)
3. Explain the role of sugar planters (such as Sanford Dole) in the annexation of Hawaii. (pgs.366-367)
4. Explain how each of the following led to the American declaration of war against Spain in 1898.
a) Cuban political and economic instability (pg.370)
b) Jose Marti's Revolution (pg.370-371)
c) yellow journalism (pg.371)
d) the De Lome Letter (pg.371)
e) the U.S.S. Maine explodes (pg.372)
Write a sentence explaining the significance of each person or item.
Queen Liliuokalani (pg.364)
Albert J. Beveridge(pg.365)
Albert T. Mahan (pg.365)
The "Great White Fleet" (pg.365)
"You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war" (pg.372)
Admiral George Dewey (pg.372)
Rough Riders (pg.374)
San Juan Hill (pg.374)
Platt Amendment (pg.376)
Emilio Aguinaldo (pg.378)
The Roosevelt Corollary to the Monroe Doctrine (pg.384)
Explain: "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" (pg.384)
5. What sparked the rebellion of the Righteous and Harmonious Fists (Boxers) in 1900, and how was it crushed ? (pg.379)
6. What was the "great surprise" which occurred during the war between Russia and Japan in 1904 ? (pg.382)
7. What tactics were used to "separate" Panama from Colombia ? (pgs.383-384)
8. What obstacles did the engineers and workers face when building the Panama Canal ? (pg.384)
9. What tactics did the U.S. employ to suppress Philippine independence ? (pgs.377-378)
10. Why did President Wilson order the U.S. Army into Mexico ? (pgs.386-387)